First some assumptions:
1) of the 3000 remaining citizens of Echer’Naught roughly 1000 reside in Low Town.
2) Many Low Town buildings were completely destroyed.
3) of the 3000/1000 citizens only a small percentage will be true “criminals” (gang members and such). Therefore regular patrols of 4-6 stout Dwarven soldiers should serve to dissuade random crime, especially if food, water, and health care (though I understand healthcare is being provided by the druids?)
1) win the hearts and minds of the citizens of Low Town with kindness and generosity wielded with a stern hand. anything wanted will be purchased with cash giving an influx of money to the shops.
2) Re-build the destroyed buildings first and then move in families based on criteria to be named by those above me (I would personally remcommend a “need based” system to be chosen by non-locals thus removing any potential perceived bias.
3) Demolish those buildings vacated by people moving into their new digs and re-build the demolished buildings.
4) establish a sewage system leading to a “grey water” lake that the druids will cleanse and create a park area for the citizenry (recommend the park be open to all and maintained by the government, allow fishing for supplemental food, etc.
As to the buildings:
1) 3 story stone structures containing an appropriate amount of apartments. I recommend the apartments be “lease to own” after a pre-determined time (10 years?) the apartments will be wholly owned by the families living in them.
2) every third building (can vary based on need) will have stores on the first floor, restaurants, bars, bakeries, etc. Preference for the apartments above the stores will be given to those families working/maintaining the stores.
3) Taxes will be paid both during the lease to own phase as well as after. these taxes will first be ear-marked for building maintanence. A discretionary fund will be set up for emergencies funded by these takes.
4) the roofs of these buildings will have crenalations for city defense where archers and crossbowmen can have cover from which to fire down upon block by block invasions.
5) a set of 4 rails will be set up on the roof with a Cistern holding rain water in the center. the cisterns will provide water for fighting fire, plumbing, drining, and…
6) cistern defense. the cisterns will be made with heat transmitting bottoms (copper?). Thi9s will allow the water to be brought to a boil. In the event of an invasion the cistern water can be brought to a boil and, using the pre-installed rails, moved to any of the 4 sides and there dumped down upon invaders (par boiled Malakaran anyone? :) )
7) It shall be the apartment owners duty to perform quarterly drills to maintain and use the cisterns.
8) the 4 quarters of the roof seperated by the rails will be used for laundry drying, gardening, building parties, etc.
These ideas are presented for your consideration.
Yours in service,
Acting Lt. Grum Goldbeard.